Editor in Chief: Moh. Reza Huwaida Friday, December 14th, 2018

China Vows to Hit Back as Trump Targets $200bn in Goods

China Vows to Hit Back as Trump  Targets $200bn in Goods

WASHINGTON - China on Tuesday vowed to retaliate against the United States and warned of “uncertainty” in trade talks after President Donald Trump targeted another $200 billion in Chinese imports with tariffs starting next week.<br>
Trump ratcheted up pressure on Beijing as the new round of levies will bring the amount of goods hit by duties to roughly half of Chinese exports to the US. He also threatened to go after all Chinese goods.<br>
“For months, we have urged China to change these unfair practices and give fair and reciprocal treatment to American companies,” Trump said in a statement on Monday.<br>
“These practices plainly constitute a grave threat to the long-term health and prosperity of the United States economy,” he said.<br>
“But, so far, China has been unwilling to change its practices,” including theft and force transfer of technology.<br>
Once the new round of tariffs takes effect on September 24, punitive duties will be in place on $250 billion in goods the US buys from China -- its largest source of imported merchandise.<br>
The latest round of imports will face 10 percent tariffs through the end of the year, and then the rate will jump to 25 percent.<br>
“In order to safeguard its legitimate rights and interests and the global free trade order, China has no choice but to take countermeasures in lockstep,” the Chinese commerce ministry said in a statement on Tuesday.<br>
The statement did not mention Beijing’s earlier threat to add tariffs on $60 billion in US imports if Washington imposed this new wave of levies. (AFP)