Editor in Chief: Moh. Reza Huwaida Tuesday, April 25th, 2017

Senate Demands Probe into Cash Aid to Taliban Families

Senate Demands Probe into Cash Aid to Taliban Families

KABUL - Senate members on Tuesday expressed concern over cash donation to families of slain Taliban fighters in northern Kunduz province and demanded an investigation into the issue.
Kunduz governor Asadullah Omarkehl in a video message had said up to 60 family members of dead Taliban had demanded cash assistance from him and the aid was given.
Abdullah Qarleq, a lawmaker from Kunduz, said a delegation with 50 million afghanis in cash aid had been dispatched to Kunduz to distribute it among the conflict-affected people.
But the delegation returned with 16 million afghanis back to Kabul, he said, warning against irregularities in distribution of the cash among victims.
He said distribution of money among families of dead Taliban would create distrust between the government and security forces.
Another member of the Meshrano Jirga, Lailuma Ahmadi, said the governor’s views were concerning and asked the upper house to seek explanation from him.
Senate Chairman Fazal Hadi Muslimyar said the issue needed further investigation and lawmakers should not make a decision until decided all aspects of the matter were investigated
He asked the house defence commission to travel to the province and coordinate the issue with local representatives and present their report to the house.
When contacted, the spokesman for Kunduz governor, Syed Mahmood Danish, rejected if the governor had given cash aid to families of the Taliban.
He said the central government had sent only four million afghanis to the governor’s house at the request of the residents of Pul-i-Kandahari area.
He said the aid had been distributed the families. However, he did not say who the families were. (Pajhwok)