Editor in Chief: Moh. Reza Huwaida Saturday, September 23rd, 2017

Afghan Forces Move to Recapture Helmand’s Nawa

Afghan Forces  Move to Recapture Helmand’s Nawa

LASHKARGAH - Afghan security forces on Saturday launched a three-pronged operation to recapture the Nawa district of southern Helmand province, officials said.
The joint offensive was fast progressing after being launched this morning from three directions, the governor’s spokesman, Omar Zwak, told Pajhwok Afghan News.
He said bunkers created by the Taliban were destroyed and technical teams were now busy defusing landmines in the area.
Col. Zahir Gul Muqbil, commander of the fourth brigade border police, said they had started the offensive from Lashkargah, the provincial capital, side.
He said the border police had so far captured a police compound from the rebels in Ainak area where the rebels had emplaced improvised explosive devices and the process to deactivate them was ongoing.
The Taliban also destroyed a main bridge in the Ainak area, however the structure was being rebuilt.
According to Muqbil, the Afghan National Army troops had started the clearing operation from the US Marines forward operation base Geronimo, pushing the Taliban back from various areas.
He said so far only the Afghan forces were taking part in the operation and foreign troops would provide air support if required.
ANA’s 215 Maiwand Military Corps deputy spokesman Maj. Abdul Qadir confirmed the operation to recapture Nawa district was launched on Saturday morning, but provided no further details.
District social council head for Nawa, Haji Juma Gul, told Pajhwok Afghan News the security forces were achieving their objectives in the operation and had so far reached Fazluddin square in the district centre.
The Taliban have so far said nothing about the second such major operation in Helmand during the past one month. The previous operation in Nawa and Marja districts had little gains. (Pajhwok)