Editor in Chief: Moh. Reza Huwaida Monday, June 18th, 2018

Jalalabad Girls’ Schools Closed after Daesh Threats

Jalalabad Girls’ Schools  Closed after Daesh Threats

JALALABAD - All girls’ schools have been closed in Jalalabad, the capital of eastern Nangarhar province, after Daesh group posted threats on social media, officials said on Tuesday.
The provincial government says the schools were closed one day ahead of the summer vocations, however over the past few days, IS rebels have been threatening girls schools on social media
Education department officials said the closure of schools came in light of a decision to avoid possible security incidents in the city.
Daesh rebels through two night letters ---one black and white --and the second color ---- have threatened schools with bomb attacks in case of violation.
The group renewed the threat in a video message, saying it was in retaliation to civilian casualties caused by foreign and local forces in Haska Mena district.
Niamatullah, a resident of Jalalabad city, told Pajhwok Afghan News that his sisters went to school this morning but returned soon as they were told their school had been closed due security threat.
Another resident Wali Mohammad also confirmed the issue and said his children came back from school after they told to return home as soon as possible.
He urged the warring sides to avoid targeting schools for reaching their political goals.
The threat was only against girls schools, but today boys schools were also closed in the city.
AshabWali, a student of Nasrat high school in Jalalabad, said: “When I arrived at the school gate this morning, I was told to reach home quickly because security threats exist.”
Mohammad Asif Shinwari, the provincial education department spokesman, said the decision to close all schools was made to avoid possible attacks.
He said today students sat their last exam and all main examinations had already finished and only supplementary exams remained. (Pajhwok)