Editor in Chief: Moh. Reza Huwaida Sunday, September 22nd, 2019

Residents Demand Security on Kandahar-Uruzgan Road

Residents Demand Security on Kandahar-Uruzgan Road

KANDAHAR CITY - The residents accused government officials of not paying attention to the Uruzgan- Kandahar highway security and condition.
They say they have been facing numerous problems due to the highway’s bad condition and insecurity.
The residents and passengers of the two provinces accuse local officials of taking to no step to improve security on the route.
Mohammad, a driver on the highway, told Pajhwok Afghan News that the authorities concerned had long been promising measures for the highway security but they did nothing to so far. 
He said in the past they would cover the distance between the twp provinces within two hours but now the same journey consumed six hours due to the road’s bad condition.
He said women, elderly and children had to bear the brunt of the situation on the highway.
He said mostly drivers faced technical problems that led to death of patients.
Construction work on the highway was started many times but had to be stopped for unknown reason.
Mohammad urged the government to take measures for the highway security and condition.
Abdul Wadood, a resident of Shah Walikot district, said Taliban militants had started kidnapping passengers on the highway from the last few months.  He urged the government to address the issue as soon as possible.
However, Kandahar Governor Hayatullah Hayat said construction work of the highway had resumed.
He visited Shah Walikot district along with a military delegation and assessed the security situation of the district two days back.
Hayat told a gathering there they conducted clearing operations in Khakrez district and assured fully security of the district.
On the  other hand, Eng. Mohammad Sabir Ahmadzai said a few days back blamed the delay in the highway works on the procurement commission. He said 30 million afghanis had been allocated for the highway. (Pajhwok)