Editor in Chief: Moh. Reza Huwaida Wednesday, August 12th, 2020

Govt, private peace efforts unconvincing so far: Abbasi

Govt, private peace efforts unconvincing so far: Abbasi

KABUL: The State Ministry for Peace Affairs on Wednesday criticized the government and private institutions responsible for achieving peace in the country and termed their activities ‘as unconvincing.’
Ghulam Yahya Abbasi, deputy minister for peace affairs, told a conference titled “Consultation and Coordination with civil society institutions” in Kabul, that unfortunately the government’s and private sector’s efficiency had not been convincing.
He added the government and nongovernmental organizations had been many times responsible for advancing peaceful resolution to disputes, mediation and diplomatic initiatives for promotion of the peace process and respect for human rights, but their performances had not been successful.
Abbasi continued efficiency of state and non-state institutions in peace process had not been comparable to expectations of the people for various reasons.
Abbasi said ending the ongoing conflict and brining lasting peace was a pillar of the Afghan government’s internal policy. He said complexity of issues at stake in the peace process required work of different institutions in government and non-government agencies.
Meanwhile, Aziz Rafie, the Afghanistan civil society association head, told the conference that people’s efforts regarding peace process had been ignored.
He said Afghanistan would not achieve peace until the real motive of the war was not clear.
He termed declaration of truce before peace negotiations a red-line, saying without ceasefire Afghanistan could not experience peace.
He said civil society associations had done nearly 40 investigation research regarding the peace process but the government did not pay attention to it.
Earlier, US Special Representative for Afghanistan Peace Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad has arrived in Qatar for talks with the Taliban on a ceasefire and reduction of violence.
A credible source, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Pajhwok Afghan News Khalilzad had reached Doha and would resume talks with Taliban representatives there.
Afghan journalist Sami Yousafzai, who has been covering the US-Taliban talks, tweeted America’s chief negotiator met Taliban’s political office head Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar late Sunday in Doha.
Yousafzai quoted a Taliban source as saying the militant group was willing to reduce violence.
But Taliban’s spokesman has so far said nothing in this regard.
In his last interaction with Taliban negotiators on December 12, the Afghan-born US envoy had asked them “to consult their leadership” on observing a temporary ceasefire, or a reduction in violence, before the two sides could return to the negotiating table. (pajwak)