Editor in Chief: Moh. Reza Huwaida Friday, January 24th, 2020

Govt Asked to Curb ‘Rise in Crime’ in Herat

Govt Asked to Curb ‘Rise  in Crime’ in Herat

HERAT - A council of security officials in the western province of Herat last week began implementing a new plan for restraining the number of illegal armed men and vehicles without number plate in the city. But hours after the plan was announced, two people were killed by unknown armed men in two separate incidents in Herat city, according to local residents and provincial council members.
Herat police confirmed the two incidents and said an investigation has started to arrest the perpetrators.
“Two incidents have happened… An investigation is underway in this respect, ” Herat police spokesman Abdul Ahad Walizada said.
But a member of Herat Provincial Council cast doubt on the efficiency of the plan to reduce crime in Herat which according to residents has highly increased in recent weeks.
“Such attempts are not effective for this city. It needs proper measures. All the routes connecting to the city should be under surveillance,” said Wakil Ahmad Karokhi, member of Herat Provincial Council.
Herat residents said they are concerned about the situation in the province and that they expect a change in it in the near future.
“Insecurity has increased. People cannot go out during nights. Some incidents even happen during the day. Security agencies and local officials should prevent this,” said Abdul Ghafoor, a Herat resident.
“The situation in the city is miserable and people are tired of this situation,” said Nazir Ahmad Hashemi, a Herat resident. “We call on the government to pay more attention to this matter.” (TOLO NEWS)