KABUL - The second vice president warned Wednesday that the Afghan government will no longer tolerate the bloodshed against Afghan immigrants in Quetta, Pakistan, referring to the latest attack by the banned extremist militant group Lashkar-e-Jhangvi that killed about 113 and wounded about 250.
About thirty of those killed in the blast were Afghan refugees living in Quetta, and Vice President Khalili urged Pakistan to take serious measures to protect their lives.
"Pakistan...should consider serious actions to protect Afghan immigrants in the country," said Mohammad Karim Khalili.
The vice president said that Afghanistan's ambassador to Pakistan has been asked to visit Quetta to investigate the terrorist incident.
Meanwhile, a number of Kabul residents have staged a sit-in and hunger strike to protest the attacks that target the Hazara resident of Quetta, who are mostly Shia. Khalili visited the protesters and expressed solidarity with their cause.
Ahmad Zia Massoud, leader of the opposition National Front, lauded the protesters and said that such action could lead to better security for Afghan immigrants.
"Your strike is for humanity, and it will apply pressure on Pakistan to provide security for Hazaras," said Massoud.
Meanwhile, a number of MPs condemned the continued killings of Hazaras in Quetta.
"More than 200 people have been killed in the (latest) attacks. The government of Pakistan is obligated to refer the perpetrators to the judicial organs," said Farhad Majidi, MP.
The Saturday attack, claimed by Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, came after a previous attack in January, which the Human Rights Watch (HRW) said was the deadliest attack on record for the Pakistan's Shiites. HRW also said that more than 400 people had been killed in 2012, mostly in bomb attacks and drive-by shootings. (Tolo News)